The 2022 Ability $1,500 college scholarship program is now accepting applications. We will close the acceptance of applications on February 28th, 2022 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time.
The purpose of the Ability scholarship is to raise awareness of and sensitivity towards people with disabilities – it is not limited to applicants with disabilities – anyone who is eligible can apply.
Winners will be announced by May 2022.
The scholarship money can be used towards any college related costs, to include tuition, room/board, and books.
Checks will be mailed directly to your University
Please read the following information BEFORE emailing questions to the Administrator. Due to time constraints, any emails with questions that can be answered on this page will NOT be answered.
- Open to either high school seniors or college undergraduates who will be attending an undergraduate collegiate program in 2022 leading towards their first degree (students who already have a bachelor’s degree and will be working on a second or subsequent degree are NOT eligible).
- High school juniors attending dual-enrollment programs are NOT eligible, unless they are graduating a year early and will be attending college in the next academic year.
- Applicants who meet all criteria, including AT&T employees and their family, are eligible to apply.
- Applicant must enroll in an accredited (2-year or 4-year) undergraduate program within the U.S. for the 2022 – 2023 year.
- Applicants are eligible regardless of major or area of study. (You don’t have to be pursuing a degree in a particular field)
- There is no age limit.
Requirements for All Applicants
- The application consists of high school and college info, information about extra-curricular activities, leadership, employment and achievements/awards, and an essay (choice of 2 – 500 word recommended length).
- Information about extra-curricular activities, leadership, employment and achievements/awards can include both high school and college years.
- Applicants must initial a release authorizing Ability to use the applicant’s name on the Ability website and in the Ability newsletter.
- OPTIONAL: Ability would love to hear from our winners via a short video of how this scholarship has helped their collegiate endeavors. We will reach our later this year.
The deadline for the Program Administrator to receive all required materials is February 28, 2022 – NO EXCEPTIONS.
Before You Apply
Gather and prepare as much of the following information as you can before you start your application. All information should be available to complete and submit an application in one web session, as unfortunately, there is no capability to save work and then edit/modify it at a later time.
- GPA (0.00 – 4.00)
- Essay response (500 word recommended length) You will be able to attach a document or short video when you get to that section on the application. Below are the questions so you can write your essay first.
- Question 1:
Anxiety disorders can be a cluster of mental conditions that are identified by causing significant feelings of anxiety which interfere with daily living, working, and social interactions. Use the link provided or other resources to understand how anxiety can impact the social life of a college student. Discuss a way you might interact with a peer who suffers from an anxiety disorder to help minimize feelings of embarrassment or fear of negative reaction/rejection from others.
Anxiety Disorders Article
- Question 2:
How would you persuade/compel agencies to make policy adjustments toward greater accessibility and inclusivity toward individuals with disabilities? What arguments would you use to support your case?
- Question 1:
- Community involvement summary
- Achievements and awards
- Work experience
- Leadership positions
The application CANNOT be modified/updated once submitted.
All files submitted should be in a common file format – preferred formats include PDF or Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx). Other files types (jpg, gif, tif, gif, xls, png, rtf) may be accepted. If you cannot provide an acceptable common file type, contact us here